A year ago, I tried to bake some cookies for Bake It Happen, a yearly campaign to raise funds for breast cancer research. The program was created by my friend Stacey and her sister Shari from My Judy The Foodie to honor their mother who passed away from breast cancer eight years ago. Don’t worry, I am not asking you for money! That year, I baked some “earthquake cookies” and gave them to my friend Ana who had just been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Soon after, another friend began treatment for breast cancer. Thankfully, both are now survivors with varying degrees of lingering health issues. Both are extraordinarily grateful that their treatments have worked.
Breast cancer affects so many women, but fortunately it is now a cancer with a high survivor rate. This is due to advances in research as Doctors search for a cure. But research costs money and that is where you and I come in. Except for this one, you don’t donate cash (though of course, you are welcome to). Instead, all you have to do to support this breast cancer campaign is bake and share. Yep. Every share gets $5 donated to the Pink Pumpkin Patch Foundation.
So, here is how it works:
- Sign up HERE and receive three of Judy’s favorite baking recipes.
- Bake and enjoy your goodies with friends telling them about Bake it Happen.
- Upload your pictures to the facebook page (and if you are not on facebook you can email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter to win prizes including an IPad Mini!
- Feel good that your picture sharing will lead to a $5 to the Pink Pumpkin Patch Foundation.
If you are not in the baking mood and would still like to donate, you can do so HERE.
October is almost over, Halloween is basically around the corner, but breast cancer is with us year round. Let’s do a final push and fund research to save more lives, just like my friends’ lives, until next year when we bake again.